June 17, 2008

A New Perspective

I really should be working on my horse show images, however, I got called out at the last minute to do a shoot that I knew would be an experience. So I agreed to get up at early o'clock and go shoot some arial images.
I live smack dab in the middle of one of the largest natural gas reservoirs around. Currently, they are drilling like mad and have been for several years. It's really scarring the landscape. Now, while I'm all for drilling, I think they could be a lot kinder to the land when they do it. It seems like they just plop a well any ol' place with no regard to private property or the impact on the land, particularly to the ranchers. While that's not entirely true, they do have to get permits to drill where they do, I still think it could be done with less impact. Twinning wells (putting more than one well on a cleared well pad and taking better care of all the roads they plow through the land would be a really great start.

Fortunately, I'm not the only one that thinks this. I know someone who is trying to make an impact on the huge number of well locations and he hired me to go fly and shoot some images of how so many wells spread out across the land makes an impact. Keep in mind the goal IS NOT fewer wells, only fewer locations. Growing up, I remember there was a limit of two well locations for each section of land. About the time I was in High School, they upped it to four. Now it's has escalated to about 125 wells allowed per section of land. When all of these well have individual pads, well, it's getting ugly. It's a bit silly when we have the ability to drill directionally and to the multiple layers from one location.

On the way back from our jaunt in the air, I talked the pilot into taking a slight detour over the area where the wild horses roam. I didn't really think I would be able to spot any but I was hoping. We did! We found one large band with one foal. I took a few shots and the pilot circled around so I could have another pass at them. We came in the second time a little lower and just as we went by they turned and galloped off a few hundred yards. I guess we got their attention but only bothered them for a few moments. From the looks of the water source, they will be heading up in elevation soon where there will hopefully be more water. The lack of water will drive all the bands closer together. Perhaps if I get to go visit them again this summer I may see more horse action as the herd stallions have discussions about their proximity to each other. Well, back to the salt mines.... Now I have two jobs to get posted in a short time!

3 comments:

InRepose said...

Wonderful images, nice luck on the ponies.
I have a couple of questions: What kind of plane and how did you shoot? Out a window? Open air? Buckled in I am sure.

Ristyz said...

The plane was a taildragger, a bushmaster 180, not sure of the brand. Maybe Cessna. They took one of the doors off for clear shootin'. Yes, buckeled in!

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Great images Cristy and I hope that you succeed in your quest. Things are changing here too fast, we are losing so much tooo quickly.

I would love an opportunity like that to shoot from the air, lucky thing LOL.

Hope you are well.

Lori